Future of Branding and Retail
This course uniquely covers the exciting transformations that will reshape the Retail channel which is now both digital and physical wrapping around the whole consumer experience. The impact of Internet of Things, mobile devices, cyber security, pervasive monitoring, privacy and machine learning on the Retail channel will be discussed. How Retailers must urgently take a big “leap forward” in attaining higher productivity through capturing consumer demand efficiently as well as how best to counter the numerous cost pressures, coming from high rentals, sales cost and inventory management costs that have been trending upwards dramatically.
Today, progressively challenged by the Internet giants like Amazon, Alibaba and Lazada, the
traditional Retail channel will steadily lose customers and will need to reinvent themselves urgently. The Retail Industry will need to exploit new technologies like AI and personalised services, innovate just like the new eCommerce companies, in order to stay competitive and relevant. After all, the Smart Nation is coming, and this will bring about a new generation of highly nimble Smart Retail outlets that will showcase the “Future of Retail”. Those who do not change, will face inevitable extinction.
- A key benefit is to distill the massive amount of innovation possibilities and to highlight those with the best potential and the shortfalls of what may appear to be most promising in media hype. Indeed, the technical challenges are considerable, since there are not enough good designers and architects globally to handle the onslaught of disruptions that are emerging.
- Besides the technical assessments, the course will also provide non-technical insights that are based on the shopping experience and psychology, which will be strategic for the planning of new transformation initiatives. This will help retail leaders to develop successful re-designs; as the choices will be explained deeply by comparing the core strengths and benefits of various technologies, hence eliminating what has been tested and known to be problematic. Importantly, the focus will be on practical deployments and the costs associated with their respective investments.
- In addition, the course will also cover downside risks from cyber security and privacy breaches, due to the use of new technologies, like IoT, robots, AI, smart cameras etc. As the new technologies are quite difficult, this course will help leaders by offering quick and sharp consultancy in an easily digestible manner for fast decision-making.
- Disruption in the Retail Industry by non-retail players
- Challenges facing Multi-brand and Mono-brand retailers
- Trend of Product manufacturers becoming Retailers
- Trend of e-commerce players becoming Retailers
- Impact of how products are distributed and consumed
- How autonomous Retail is possible with new innovations in computer vision, gesture and object detection
- How shopper behaviour can be tracked from when they research the product to purchasing it in stores or online
- How retail signages can be personalised and dynamic using IOT
- The use of Beacons (iBeacons and Eddystone)
- Mobile First applications: cardless loyalty (virtual cards), highlighting the impact of National Digital Identity (NDI) and Smart Nation backend consolidation
- Robots and drones offering shopper assistance, disrupting the traditional warehouse and supply chain
- Case Studies for agile and low cost operations, exploiting Cloud Computing, thin clients, AI etc.
- The Future Mall – virtual show rooms, experience centres, integration with product pickup, transport and vending machines, future ePayment, future parking
- Safety monitoring at public spaces – anti-crime, managing open areas, making escalators and stair wells safer, exploiting accessibility technologies to help the handicapped
- The challenges of maintaining Cyber Security and Privacy, securing Smart Buildings, Green projects, IoT and the Retail transactions, plus other downside issues
Course fees: $2568 (inclusive of GST)